Full-time private research, editing and writing (ongoing). Main project this year is The Handbook of Modern Western Magic, which I am co-editing with Dr Henrik Bogdan – an anthology with 22 international contributors (contracted with Brill, Leiden and Boston, forthcoming 2011-2012).
Taught a two-week Summer School with Associate Professor Douglas Ezzy in the School of Sociology at the University of Tasmania, Hobart (18-29 January 2010). Theme: ‘Magic, Spirituality and Religion’.
Full-time private research and writing. Major projects included converting my PhD thesis into a general book, recently published as Homage to Pan: the life, art and magic of Rosaleen Norton (Creation Oneiros, London 2009). I also re-worked my earlier book The History of Magic in the Modern Age (Constable, London, and Carroll & Graf, New York 2000) into a more rigorous academic presentation (Stealing Fire from Heaven: the Rise of Modern Western Magic (Oxford University Press, New York, forthcoming January 2011).
PhD in the School of Humanities and Social Research, University of Newcastle, Australia, awarded 20 September 2008: Thesis title: ‘Rosaleen Norton’s contribution to the Western Esoteric Tradition’ [readers:
Dr J. Gordon Melton, Institute for the Study of American Religion, Santa Barbara; Dr James. R. Lewis, University of Wisconsin; Dr Lynne Hume, University of Queensland; Thesis supervisor: Dr Marguerite Johnson, University of Newcastle].
Full-time relief teacher (all subjects) at Leeton High School
Full-time English and History teacher (relief) at Moree Secondary College (Term 1)
Full-time day-to-day relief teaching at Wee Waa High School (Terms 2 and 3)
Full-time English and History teacher at Batlow Technology High
Full-time English and History teacher at Leeton High School and Woonona High School
Publishing consultant: Voigt Drury Publishing – writing and producing books for such clients as Thames & Hudson (UK), Simon & Schuster and Lansdowne
Managing Editor/Publishing Manager of Craftsman House visual art publishers (a division of Gordon and Breach International, with headquarters in New York)
Editor of Nature & Health magazine (sister magazine to Geo)
Interviewer and presenter at ABC-TV (Religious Department)
Managing Editor / Doubleday Australia
Managing Editor / Harper & Row Australia.
Education Officer – EO2 [Clerk Class 6] / Commonwealth Dept of Education (Education officer / Colombo Plan administration – working with Asian students in Australia)
Full-time English and History teacher at West Wyalong High School and Asquith Girls High School
- Doctor of Philosophy, School of Humanities, University of Newcastle, 2008
- Master of Arts (Honours), School of Behavioural Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney 1980
- Diploma in Education, Sydney Teachers College 1969
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Sydney 1968
- Award for ‘Best PhD in the School of Humanities’, University of Newcastle 2008
- Award for most significant publication arising from a research PhD, (chapter on the ‘Modern Magical Revival’ published in M. Pizza and J.R. Lewis [ed], Handbook of Contemporary Paganism, Brill, Leiden 2009) , University of Newcastle 2008
Scholarly books (peer reviewed)
- Stealing Fire from Heaven: The Rise of Modern Western Magic 2011, forthcoming, New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Handbook of Modern Western Magic (ed. with Henrik Bogdan) 2011, forthcoming, Leiden and Boston: Brill
Scholarly book chapters and articles (peer reviewed)
- ‘Modern Western Magic and Altered States of Consciousness’, 2011 forthcoming, in J.R. Lewis (ed.), Religion and the Authority of Science, Leiden and Boston: Brill : pp. 707-739. (book chapter)
- ‘The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn’, 2010 forthcoming, in J.G. Melton (ed.), Religions of the World, Santa Barbara, California: ABC Clio (article)
- ‘The Magickal Cult of Thelema’, 2010 forthcoming, in J.G. Melton (ed.), Religions of the World, Santa Barbara, California: ABC Clio (article)
- ‘Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers’, 2010 forthcoming, in J.G. Melton (ed.), Religions of the World, Santa Barbara, California: ABC Clio (article)
- ‘The Modern Magical Revival’, 2009, in J.R. Lewis and M. Pizza (ed.), Handbook of Contemporary Paganism, Leiden and Boston: Brill: pp. 1-80. (book chapter)
- ‘Aboriginal Art and the Sacred Earth’, 2003, in M. Tucker (ed.), Dream Traces: A Celebration of Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Art, Brighton, Sussex: University of Brighton (article)
- ‘Magic and Cyberspace’, 2002, East Lansing, Michigan: Esoterica IV, Association for the Study of Esotericism / Michigan State University Press (article)
Reviews in scholarly journals (peer reviewed)
- Review of David Howes (ed.), The Sixth Sense Reader, 2009: Berg, Oxford, UK in Journal of Alternative Spiritualities and New Age Studies (ed. D. Kemp), forthcoming.
- Review of Charles T. Tart, The End of Materialism: How Evidence of the Paranormal is Bringing Science and Spirit Together, 2009: New Harbinger / Noetic Books, Oakland, California, USA in Journal of Alternative Spiritualities and New Age Studies (ed. D. Kemp), forthcoming.
- Review of Janice Miner Holden, Bruce Greyson and Debbie James (ed.), The Handbook of Near-Death Experiences, 2009: Praeger / ABC-Clio in Journal of Alternative Spiritualities and New Age Studies (ed. D. Kemp), forthcoming.
- Review of James R. Lewis and Sarah M. Lewis (ed.), Sacred Schisms, 2009: Cambridge University Press, in Alternative Spirituality and Religion Review, (ed. J. R. Lewis), 2010: 1: 2 (forthcoming).
- Review of Jesper A. Petersen, Contemporary Religious Satanism: A Critical Anthology, 2009: Ashgate, Farnham UK in Journal of Alternative Spiritualities and New Age Studies (ed. D. Kemp), 2010: Vol. 5.
- Review of Lynne Hume, Portals: Opening Doorways to Other Realities Through the Senses, 2007: Berg, Oxford UK in Alternative Spirituality and Religion Review; (ed. J.R. Lewis), 2009: 1: 1: pp. 89-92.
- Review of Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, The Western Esoteric Traditions, 2008: Oxford University Press, in Alternative Spirituality and Religion Review, (ed. J. R. Lewis), 2009: 1: 1: pp. 76-79.
Scholarly conference presentations and lectures
- ‘Homage to Pan: the life, art and sex magic of the Witch of Kings Cross (Rosaleen Norton)’, 25 March 2010, Australian Museum, Sydney, Australia
- Summer School on ‘Magic, Paganism, Witchcraft and New Age Spirituality’, jointly presented with Assoc. Professor Douglas Ezzy,
18-29 January 2010, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia (five lectures plus assorted seminars)
- ‘Black magic, white magic, and the pagan cosmology of Rosaleen Norton’, 15-17 August 2008, presentation at ‘Alternative Expressions of the Numinous’: University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- ‘A Fork in the Road: distinguishing the Right-Hand and Left-Hand Paths in 20th Century Western Magic’, 29 May – 1 June 2008, presentation at the Third International Conference of the Association for the Study of Esotericism (ASE): College of Charleston, South Carolina, USA (lecture)
- ‘Aboriginal Art and the Sacred Earth’, May 2003, presentation at the University of Brighton, Sussex, UK
General books (selected):
- International and foreign-language editions indicated in brackets. Publishers are Australian unless indicated.
- Dark Spirits: the Magical Art of Rosaleen Norton and Austin Osman Spare, 2011, Brisbane and Chiang Mai, Thailand: Salamander
- Wisdom Seekers: the Rise of the New Spirituality, 2011, Winchester, UK: O Books
- Homage to Pan: The Life, Art and Magic of Rosaleen Norton, 2009, London and Washington DC: Creation Oneiros
- The New Age : Searching for the Spiritual Self (In the USA: The New Age : The History of a Movement ) 2004, London and New York: Thames & Hudson – winner of a Silver Award in ForeWord Magazine's Book of the Year Awards, New York 2004
- Sacred Encounters: Shamanism and Magical Journeys of the Spirit
2003: Watkins (UK), 2003 Lik Editions (Bulgaria), 2005 Editorial Diana (Mexico)
- Magic and Witchcraft: from Shamanism to the Technopagans
2003: Thames & Hudson (UK/USA), 2003: AT Verlag (Switzerland), 2003: ECI / House of Books (Holland), 2004: Katalizator (Hungary), 2004: NYT Nordisk (Denmark), 2005: Blume (Spain)
- The Shaman’s Quest (mythic fiction) 2001: Brandl & Schlesinger,
2002: LongHill /SkyLight Paths (USA), 2003: Dornier/Lüchow Verlag (Germany)
- Australian Painting Now (ed. with Laura Murray Cree) 2000, Sydney:
Craftsman House, 2000, London: Thames & Hudson
- Exploring the Labyrinth: Making Sense of the New Spirituality 1999: Allen & Unwin, 1999: Continuum (USA), 1999: Gill & Macmillan / Newleaf (Ireland), 2006: Edizioni Mediterranee (Italy)
- Images 3: Contemporary Australian Painting 1998: Craftsman House
- Wisdom from the Earth: the Living Legacy of the Aboriginal Dreamtime (with Anna Voigt) 1997: Simon & Schuster Australia, 1998: Shambhala (USA), 1998: Droemer / Delphi (Germany)
- Fire and Shadow: Spirituality in Contemporary Australian Art (with Anna Voigt) 1996: Craftsman House, 1999: HarperCollins
- Images 2: Contemporary Australian Painting 1994: Craftsman House, 1997: McGraw-Hill
- Echoes from the Void: Writings on Magic, Visionary Art and the New Consciousness 1994: Prism (UK)
- New Sculpture: Profiles in Contemporary Australian Sculpture 1993: Craftsman House
- Images in Contemporary Australian Painting 1992: Craftsman House, 1997: McGraw-Hill
- The Visionary Human 1991 Element, 1992 Bantam, 1998 Prism / Unity Press, 2002 Vega / Chrysalis
- Elements of Human Potential 1989: Element (UK), 1993: Edizioni Crisalide (Italy), 1994: Xenia (Italy), 1995: Zysk (Poland), 1996: Votobia (Czech Republic)
- Elements of Shamanism 1989: Element (UK), 1991: Tirion (Holland), 1991: Jouvence (Switzerland), 1994: Karisto Oy (Finland), 1994: Edesviz Kiado (Hungary), 1994: Rebis (Poland) , 1995: Xenia (Italy), 1996: Forum (Sweden), 1996: Okyanus (Turkey), 1997: Floros (Greece) Republished 2000 as New Perspectives : Shamanism: Element (UK)
- Pan’s Daughter: The Strange World of Rosaleen Norton, 1988: Collins
- The Shaman and the Magician 1982: Routledge & Kegan Paul (UK),
1987: Arkana (UK), 1989: Sphinx Verlag (Switzerland), 1997: Heyne Verlag (Germany)
- Inner Visions: Explorations in Magical Consciousness 1979: Routledge
& Kegan Paul (UK), 1995: Arkana (UK), 1997: Esotheria (Serbia)
You can buy Nevill's books from these recommended resellers...
Abe Books - CAN/EU, Amazon - UK, Amazon - US, Barnes & Noble - US,
Book Depository - UK, Holistic Page - Australia